On the day of surgery and 24 hours after
What to bring on the day of Surgery
- The 'Patient Information & Consent Form'
- The Laservision Patient Record Book (this may have been forwarded to Laservision/ Surgeon)
- Form of payment in full - Cash, Cheque, Visa, MasterCard, Eftpos (a daily bank limit may apply).
- Allow up to 2 hours for completion of treatment.
- You are unable to drive home after your surgery.
- No eye makeup, perfume, aftershave to be worn on day of surgery.
- No alcohol the day of surgery.
- Please provide a Christchurch contact phone number.
- Inform staff of any relevant medical conditions e.g. drug allergies, pregnancy, diabetes, epilepsy and/or any prescribed medications.
- You should have read and understood Consent Booklet.
- Confirm all pre arranged appointments (please note on rare occasions we do need to alter appointment times due to unforeseen circumstances).
Upon arrival at Laservision for surgery:
- You will be asked to sign the "Consent for Operation" form and make payment for surgery.
- Oral medication will be administered. The sedation Hypnovel (takes about 20 minutes to take effect) along with 2 Codalgin.
- Due to the combination of sedation, protective sunglasses and surgery your ability to drive will be impaired.
- We advise you to have a care giver until the first post operative check. (The next morning).
- If you have any questions please feel free to contact the Team at Laservision Eye Clinic.
The first 24 hours following surgery
- The nurse will instruct you on your post-operative care, while at the clinic.
- The surgeon will examine your eye(s) before you leave and protective sunglasses placed over your eye(s). These sunglasses protect the corneal flap from direct trauma, rubbing etc which may result in flap dislodgment.
- DO NOT REMOVE THE SUNGLASSES until bedtime when you are able to replace them with comfortable eye shields. In the morning, replace these with your protective sunglasses to return to the clinic.
- You are not allowed to drive yourself home.
- A medication pack containing 2 Hypnovel tablets (sedation) and 6 Codalgin tablets (pain relief) will be given to you. It also contains the eye drops to start the following day.
- 2 Codalgin tablets may be taken every 4 hours along with Hypnovel at your pre-med and then every 4 hours thereafter. We advise taking Hypnovel to sleep.
- Your eye(s) may feel gritty and may be watery.
- At your first post-operative visit (the following morning), at the clinic the surgeon will examine your eye(s).
- The Maxitrol eye drops (antibiotic/steroid) start after this. The first week 1 drop 4 times a day, the second week 1 drop twice daily.
- Lubricant tear drops are also included for dry eye symptoms. These should be used frequently during the healing phase.
- If a change to your drivers Licence is required please ask the surgeon for the appropriate form.